Newcommers Forums Building & Converting AGM or Lithium? Reply To: AGM or Lithium?

• Tomas

Administrator
    August 30, 2023 at 16:48

Hi there Emily!

It’s a heated debate for sure, and I think many will have their own views on this. I’ll try to be as impartial as possible, adding onto that, I have installed both Lithium and AGM’s in vans.

Right off the bat, I think the main thing to look at here is the lifetime of the batteries. If you look over a 5-10 year period, I’d say Lithium is probably going to serve you better, and potentially even be more cost effective. They generally last longer. And that’s not to mention the lower weight, smaller footprint and the general easy of use. You can often connect smart devices directly to the batteries, you can get them with heating elements build in if you need to (one downside to Lithium is that they don’t like freezing temps). And if you go for non-big-brand Lithium, they’re honestly not crazy expensive anymore.

However, if all you’re looking for is a bit of juice for a phone and perhaps a laptop from time to time, no heavy consumers like fridge or induction cooktops, perhaps AGM will serve you well. They certainly will save you some money here and now.

Upshot from me: If you can fit it in your budget, get Lithium. If not, AGM will work just fine. 🙂

I hope that was helpful. Feel free to ask if there’s anything that’s unclear.